© 2025 WHRO Public Media
5200 Hampton Boulevard, Norfolk VA 23508
757.889.9400 | info@whro.org
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Facing a recruiting crisis, the Air Force is raising the age limit

Maj. Gen. Stephen L. Hoog, 9th Air Force, commander, visit airmen at Langley. Oct. 26, 2010. Department of Defense
Maj. Gen. Stephen L. Hoog, 9th Air Force, commander, visit airmen at Langley. Oct. 26, 2010. Department of Defense

Being in your 40s is no longer a barrier to joining the service. Recruits up to 42 years old can now join the Air Force and Space Force.

The services quietly raised the cut-off from 39 years old on Oct. 24. It comes as the Air Force missed its recruiting goal for the first time since 1999, falling nearly 2,700 airmen short.

It follows a similar move by the Navy last year to raise the age limit to 41, after the service faced its own shortfall in recruiting. The Coast Guard also raised the age for recruits to 42 years old in 2022. Federal law caps the maximum age for a recruit at 42 years old, which is the oldest an individual could serve until retirement at 62 years old, said Leslie Brown, chief of public affairs for Air Force Recruiting Service. 

An Air Force spokesman says all of the same standards will apply, regardless of age. 

“Applicants could be placed in any job they qualify for, but qualifications do vary based on Air Force specialty. Some jobs have specific strength and stamina requirements, certain Air Force Qualification Test score requirements, non-corrected vision, etc,” Brown said.

The Air Force still maintains an age cap of 33 years for all pilots, combat systems officers and air battle managers. The move is expected to add at least another 50 recruits a year. 

Steve joined WHRO in 2023 to cover military and veterans. Steve has extensive experience covering the military and working in public media, most recently at KPBS in San Diego, WYIN in Gary, Indiana and WBEZ in Chicago. In the early 2000s, he embedded with members of the Indiana National Guard in Kuwait and Iraq. Steve reports for NPR’s American Homefront Project, a national public media collaboration that reports on American military life and veterans. Steve is also on the board of Military Reporters & Editors.

You can reach Steve at steve.walsh@whro.org.