Help support WHRO with your next purchase on Amazon.com
Science - Third Grade 3.7
Digging Into the Past
Explore a time when the giant shark, Megalodon patrolled the Chesapeake Bay. Students become paleontologists underathing, identifying and analyzing fossil finds.
- Location: Virginia Science Marine Museum
- SOLs Covered: Science: 1.1, 3.1, 3.7, 5.7, LS.14, ES.8, ES.10-11
- Time Required:
In this activity, students demonstrate the forces of weathering and erosion and play a game that introduces them to the filtering action of shoreline or wetland plants. (Grades 2-9)
- Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science 2.1, 2.6,2.7,3.1,3.6,3.7,4.1, 184.108.40.206, 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, LS.1, LS.12, ES.1, ES.2, ES.8, ES.10
- Time Required: At the Park: Allow 20-30 min. for the game, and up to an hour to take the walk.
- Dates: Any time of year.
Take a safari across our planet to discover how Earth is unique and how we can help conserve her natural resources. Find out how the water cycle affects living things and see photosynthesis in action. Discuss food chains, habitats, and ecosystems. Explore different types of energy and discover how we can convert energy. Create a model of one of the basic types of habitats. Schedule this program with the IMAX films Blue Planet or Disney's The Lion King. (Grades 3-5)
- Location: Virginia Air and Space Museum
- SOLs Covered: Science: 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.10, 3.11, 4.1, 4.4, 4.5, 4.8, 5.1, 5.5
- Time Required: 1 hour. Schedule this program with the IMAX films Blue Planet or BUGS! Available as an outreach program to your school.
Lynnhaven House Programs
House and Outreach programs
- Location: Lynnhaven House
- SOLs Covered: Science: 2.4, 2.5, 2.8, 3.2, 3.3, 3.7, English: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.1, 3.2, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
- Time Required:
Cultural Portal Categories