Help support WHRO with your next purchase on Amazon.com
Science - Seventh Grade 7.1
Caution, Warning, DANGER!
Investigate relevance of household chemical waste disposal to water quality in Chesapeake Bay and in rivers and lakes. Read, learn and discuss the meanings of words associated with toxics. Distinguish between meaning of "lethal" and "sublethal" effects of chemicals on life processes. Demonstrate a chemical change, corrosion of metal, and a physical change, dissolving salt or sugar. Observe decomposing biodegradable matter - fruit and products labeled with caution, warning, and danger. Guess words to complete "Words of Warning Fill-In Worksheet". Investigate via a discussion the pros and cons of various disposal options for hazardous household wastes. Discuss and demonstrate safe alternatives to hazardous household products. Registration form: http://www.vims.edu/adv/ed/bt/bt2000regis.html
- Location: Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- SOLs Covered: Science SOL LS.12, ES.9, LS.4, 6.6, 6.7, 6.9, LS.9, 6.2, 7.1, English SOL 6.3, 7.1, 6.3, 6.2 ES.9
- Time Required:
Pollution solutions (Grades 6-7)
- Location: Jamestown School Enrichment
- SOLs Covered: Science SOLs 6.11, LS12
- Time Required: 45 minutes
- Dates: September to May
- Costs: One-day program: $8.25 per person. Program includes 3 ‚ 5 instructional classes, recreational equipment use, eating area, restrooms. Adult leaders free.
Whose Flotsom is This?
Until fairly recently, trash was just a noun. Your students know trash as a transitive verb also. To trash; to ruin a person, place or thing. This activity untrashes a park site, and contributes data to a national program which is a leader in the fight to stop global trashing. (Grades K-12)
- Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: K.1, K.16, 1.1, 1.15, 2.1, 2.13, 3.1, 3.2, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.11; 6.2, 6.20, 6.21; 7.1, 7.5, 7.18; 8.1, 8.16, 8.17; 9.23. Social Studies: 3.3, 3.14, 3.15; 6.3, 6.5; 7.4, 7.9; 8.7, 8.8, 8.9, 8.10; 9.5, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9, 9.11; 11.2, 11.9
- Time Required: Time Required at the Park: 60-90 minutes, near low tide.
- Dates: Time of Year: All seasons.
Cultural Portal Categories