Help support WHRO with your next purchase on Amazon.com
Science - Eighth Grade 8.1
Stop the Zebra Mussel!
The Virginia SOL-coordinated activities and resources presented in this website guide students in an interactive study of the zebra mussel and the possibilities of its invasion of Virginia. Scientific research data from a 1993 Virginia Institute of Marine Science study are introduced as part of the problem-solving activities. Follow-up activities extend the study of zebra mussels and encourage investigations into the impact of other exotic plants and animals.
- Location: Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- SOLs Covered: Science: PS.1 8.1, 8.17, BIO.1 10.3, BIO.9 10.14, PH.1 12.3
- Time Required:
Whose Flotsom is This?
Until fairly recently, trash was just a noun. Your students know trash as a transitive verb also. To trash; to ruin a person, place or thing. This activity untrashes a park site, and contributes data to a national program which is a leader in the fight to stop global trashing. (Grades K-12)
- Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: K.1, K.16, 1.1, 1.15, 2.1, 2.13, 3.1, 3.2, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.11; 6.2, 6.20, 6.21; 7.1, 7.5, 7.18; 8.1, 8.16, 8.17; 9.23. Social Studies: 3.3, 3.14, 3.15; 6.3, 6.5; 7.4, 7.9; 8.7, 8.8, 8.9, 8.10; 9.5, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9, 9.11; 11.2, 11.9
- Time Required: Time Required at the Park: 60-90 minutes, near low tide.
- Dates: Time of Year: All seasons.
Cultural Portal Categories