Help support WHRO with your next purchase on Amazon.com
Math - Sixth Grade 6.9
AeroZone is a hands-on laboratory experience where students prepare for a cross-country flight that will take them on a tour of various NASA research centers. Students research weather condition using the Center's weather station, gather information for visits along the way, and work with a global positioning system and amateur radio system. They even design aircraft and conduct wind tunnel research, testing various aero shapes in a real wind tunnel. There is also an interactive segment on working in microgravity aboard the International Space Station. Students will conduct experiments, receive information on careers in space or take a virtual trip to the International Space Station to study spatial orientation and the Station's Modules.
- Location: Virginia Air & Space Center
- SOLs Covered: Computer/Technology: C/T5.2, C/T5.3, C/T5.4, C/T8.2, C/T8.3, C/T8.4, Science: 6.1, LS.1, ES.1 ES.3, ES.13, PS.1, PH.1, PH.2, PH.3, PH.4, PH.5, Mathematics: 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 8.4, COM.2.3, COM.4, HISTORY: 6.10
- Time Required: 1 or 2 hours
- Costs: To schedule your class for a program please call (757) 727-0900, ext. 780 or e-mail email@example.com.
Take an imaginary trip to the moon and construct a long-term cyber colony that is fully functional. Learn how to overcome similar problems that the Jamestown settlers faced. Learn about new problems that exist only in the hostile environment of outer space. Students will explore ways to use resources and create various means to sustain life on the moon by "growing" and "recycling" resources for daily living in a self-sufficient community. (Grades 4-6)
- Location: Virginia Air & Space Center - Outreach
- SOLs Covered: Mathematics: 4.5, 4.12, 5.21, 6.9, 6.10, Science: 4.2, 4.5, 4.7, 5.1, 6.3, 6.10, 6.11, Social Studies: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.2, 5.3, 6.10, 6.11
- Time Required:
- Costs: Call (757) 727-0900, ext. 780 for more information on educational programs or to book an outreach.
Sand-Shakes & Mud-Pies
Students collect sediment samples from different wet habitats, measure and compare sediment composition from these sites in order to find relationships between sediment size and various environmental factors. Elementary students separate and observe layers; older students make calculations based on their data. (Grades 4-12)
· Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: 4.1, 4.8, 5.1, 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, 6.6, ES.1, ES.2, ES.8, ES.9, Math: 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 5.3, 5.11, 5.17, 5.20, 6.7, 6.9, 6.10, 6.18,7.21, 7.23, 7.25, 8.18
- Time Required:
WORLD WAR II The Home Front
Primary source documents, artifacts, and photographs located in one of the MacArthur Memorial’s classrooms spark discussion of what is was like to live in Norfolk during World War II. Time frame: 1941 and 1945. (Grades 4-9)
- Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: 4.1, 4.8, 5.1, 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, 6.6, ES.1, ES.2, ES.8, ES.9, Math: 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 5.3, 5.11, 5.17, 5.20, 6.7, 6.9, 6.10, 6.18, 7.21, 7.23, 7.25, 8.18
- Time Required: 2 hours
- Cost: Field Trips to the MacArthur Memorial can be taken without charge.
Cultural Portal Categories