Math - Fifth Grade 5.17
Vertebrates vs. Invertebrates
If you are studying the five kingdoms of living things, the zoo is the place to be to discuss the animal kingdom! Your students probably know that animals can be divided into two groups - vertebrates or invertebrates, but did you know that 99% of all animals in the world are invertebrates? Come explore the world of both groups as we meet live animals with and without backbones. (Grades 4-6)
- Location: Virginia Zoo
- SOLs Covered: Science: 4.1, 5.1, 5.5, 6.1 English: 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 6.2 Math: 4.11, 4.19, 5.11, 5.17, 6.10, 6.18
- Time Required: 45-60 mins
- Dates: Monday-Friday
- Costs: Cost of Program on Zoo Grounds: Zoo admission fee plus $2.50 per participant (80 children maximum). Each additional program $2.50 per person ($75.00 minimum). Cost of Program at your Facility: Travel fee (based on roundtrip mileage from the Zoo) plus $2.50 per participant (80 children maximum). Each additional program $2.50 per person ($75.00 minimum). Registration: You must pre-register for education programs through the Education Department. Please fill out a registration form and mail or fax it to us. You may also register online here. You must receive a confirmation letter from us before you are guaranteed a program. Please call us at 757-624-9937 ext. 299 if you have any questions or if you do not receive a confirmation letter.
WORLD WAR II The Home Front
Primary source documents, artifacts, and photographs located in one of the MacArthur Memorial’s classrooms spark discussion of what is was like to live in Norfolk during World War II. Time frame: 1941 and 1945. (Grades 4-9)
- Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: 4.1, 4.8, 5.1, 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, 6.6, ES.1, ES.2, ES.8, ES.9, Math: 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 5.3, 5.11, 5.17, 5.20, 6.7, 6.9, 6.10, 6.18, 7.21, 7.23, 7.25, 8.18
- Time Required: 2 hours
- Cost: Field Trips to the MacArthur Memorial can be taken without charge.
Cultural Portal Categories