Earlier this year, WHRO received an Enhancing Education Through Technology (E2T2) grant under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The primary goal of the E2T2 program is to improve student achievement through the use of technology in elementary and secondary schools. A portion of the grant is being used by WHRO and our educational partners to complete and enhance online courses provided through WHRO’s Hampton Roads Virtual Learning Center (HRVLC).
For the past three years, under the direction of and in collaboration with our eighteen owner school divisions, WHRO has been developing core-curriculum online student courses that cover all of the Virginia Standards of Learning for the particular subject. English 9, 10, 11, and 12, U.S./VA Government, Earth Science, Survival Economics, and Algebra I are complete and in use. Biology, Geometry, U.S. History, and Algebra II/Trigonometry are in the final stages of development.
To gear up for the creation of the remaining high school core curriculum courses – Astronomy, Chemistry, Financial Literacy, Health and PE 9, Health and PE 10, Mathematical Analysis, Oceanography, Physics, World Geography, World History I, and World History II – the HRVLC held a day of training for the content developers that were selected to create the new online courses. Course creation is a group effort and the content developers spent time working with their project managers, instructional designers, the assessment specialist, and their fellow team members to formulate plans for creation of the courses.
The training itself was also a group effort. A number of WHRO employees and departments worked collaboratively to provide this training in a variety of formats: face-to-face at WHRO; live streaming with full audio/video and chat capabilities; and through online recordings.
The HRVLC will be conducting additional trainings in the near future to build upon this day.
View the slideshow for a preview of the HRVLC Training on July 27, 2010.
Want to see an online course?
Go to http://whro.hrvlc.org and login with the username, cii and password, cii. Once you log in, the Demo course is located in the My Hampton Roads Virtual Learning Center Courses widget. After entering the course, begin by clicking on the Content link in the navigation bar. Then use the content links to work your way through the course elements. Please note that this user has the role of student NOT teacher AND is a DEMO only. As a result, you will only see a sample topic(s) from several courses.
|Online courses are much like face-to-face in that they must meet the highest standards of quality design and instruction. The quality of the online courses developed will be considered in terms of the following areas: |
1. Curriculum - Online curricular offerings will be challenging, relevant, and aligned with the Virginia Standards of Learning. Curriculum will be written by teams comprised of content experts, instructional designers, technical experts, and reviewers.
2. Instructional Design - Online courses will be informed by and reflect the most current research on learning theory. They will be designed to take advantage of the special circumstances, requirements, and opportunities of the online learning environment and support the development of 21st century learning skills. The various learning styles of students will be considered.
3. Assessment - Assessments will be authentic, formative, and regular, providing opportunities for students to reflect on their own learning and work quality during the course.
4. Course Structure - Guidelines have been developed regarding standards for course development, design, and delivery. Courses will be designed with a consistent structure, easily discernable to students of varying learning styles.
5. Content Review - Course development will be approved through a broad peer review process.
For more information on courses currently available, go to Leading Edge Instructional Resources (http://www.whro.org/home/education/teachers/instructionalresources) and scroll down to Regional Virtual School.
For more information on this exciting, forward-thinking initiative please contact
Mitzi Fehl-Seward , E-Learning Manager at WHRO and
Project Manager for course development at Mitzi.Fehl-Seward@whro.org or 757.889.9400.
Click above to take you back to the C.I.I eNewsletter.
Click here to subscribe to C.I.I. Updates.
Comments, Corrections, Educational Technology Stories and resources to share can be sent to
For more information on this exciting, forward thinking initiative please contact
at WHRO and Project Manager for course development at
|If you would like a sneak peek of an online course, go ahead and login with the following info.
Go to: http://whro.hrvlc.org
Once you log in, the Demo course is located in the My Hampton Roads Virtual Learning Center Courses widget. After entering the course, begin by clicking on the Content link in the navigation bar. Then use the content links to work your way through the course elements. Please note that this user has the role of student NOT teacher AND is a DEMO only. As a result, you will only see a sample topic(s) from several courses.